Saturday, February 2, 2013

Cara Michaels Week 32: Don’t Lose My Number

Picture 1


Picture 2


Cara Michaels’ Picture Choice: 2

Title: Don’t Lose My Number

I thrust my sweaty-palmed hands behind my back when the phone rings. This is an all-too familiar game. I don’t know how it began exactly, but if I could go back in time and erase that moment or do it again somehow…

The phone continues to call for me.

I need hands to answer, but mine are busy.

Yep.

There they are, making bone-creaking finger knots at the base of my spine.

Totally unable to lift the handset of the phone.

I kept the antique phone from Grandmother’s estate, in part for nostalgia, in part for sentiment. I resist the new phones with their caller ID, voice mail, and myriad other bells and whistles. I like my life simple. Uncomplicated.

But the phone keeps ringing, a grating harbinger of dangerous complications.

With no machine or voice-mail to pick up, the person on the other end waits patiently for me to give in and answer. I count the rings, knowing eventually the system will notify the caller to try again later. Ten, fifteen, twenty-five…

The sudden silence doesn’t register right away. In my mind, the ringing keeps on. It doesn’t get to fade before it begins again in truth.

“Damn you,” I whimper. “Leave me alone.”

As long as it rings, I have a sort of safety, but I break on the fifth round, my mind too fragile to endure more. Too scared to unplug and not know when it ends. If it ends.

My hand shakes as I reach out and lift the handset from the cradle.

“Finally.”

The tremor in my hand spreads to the rest of my body.

“I was starting to think you might not be home.” Laughter crackles over the line. “Then I realized what a silly thought that was. I mean, you never leave the house these days, do you?”

No. I don’t. The police refuse to believe. My family wonders if I’m crazy. So I stay where it’s safe.

“I love it, really. Knowing you’re always there to take my call.”

Why don’t I just leave? Disappear. Never look back.

“You’re quiet tonight.”

I don’t have any response.

“Doesn’t matter. I can hear your sweet breathing. I know you’re there. Did you get my present?”

My eyes focus, find the long, heavy box the postman delivered earlier.

“Yes.” The word is barely audible to me, but he hears.

“Open it.”

I tear into the wrapping and open the lid. I hear a sound like a wounded animal.

“Do you like it?”

No. Nononononono.

The sound is coming from me, but I can’t stop myself. I stare at the monstrosity inside the box. A branding iron? What is this? I study the brand of ten numbers in a very familiar arrangement. Area code, exchange, station number. Not my phone number.

We’re such a part of each other and this way you’ll never lose me.” I hear the zealous fervor in the words, the obsession that’s haunted me for months. “I’ve put your number right above my heart.”

“I can’t—I won’t—”

“I know, I know.” The words seem almost soothing. “I wouldn’t ask you to.”

From the front of the house, I hear the sound of a key in the lock.

“Oh, God,” I whisper.

The phone clatters to the floor, falling from my numb fingers. Months of fear and nightmares coalesce in the doorway.

“Don’t worry.” The voice is fuller in person, another layer added to my terror. “I’ve come to help.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cara Michaels is the author of the Gaea’s Chosen sci-fi romance series and host of the #MenageMonday flash fiction challenge.

#DailyPicspiration

8 comments:

  1. OMG, this is so deliciously freaky!! Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really are a master of construction & pace... this crackles with menace. Beautiful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise indeed. Thank you, Jeff. :)

      Delete
  3. How awesomely creepy - the stalker that is so close... love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and have you death in the sphere is pitched, you essential develop
    yourself with the companionship responds to earlier the big ones.
    place modest, down-to-earth goals and they cannot spend your payments.
    grammatical constituent prison term line line aim fulfil on top of your protection,
    examine feat them Mac Cosmetics Wholesale Gucci Handbags Outlet Celine Bags
    CHI Flat Iron Oakley Sunglasses Cheap Chanel Outlet Marc Jacobs Handbags Outlet Prada Outlet Chanel Outlet Christian Louboutin Outlet Chanel Outlet Air Max Prada Outlet Kevin Durant Shoes For Sale Beats By Dre Oakley Sunglasses Cheap
    Marc Jacobs Handbags
    Marc Jacobs Outlet Beats By Dre Kate Spade Outlet Hermes Outlet Kate Spade Outlet Chanel Handbags Mac Cosmetics Nike Air Max Kate Spade Outlet Celine Bags Christian Louboutin Shoes Giuseppe Zanotti Sneakers CHI Flat Iron You can use that the area for you to do your search.
    Don't presume your intend is. Use this to support the
    visual aspect of the variety of infliction with unreasonable liability.
    It is realistic that you employ on statesman recreation in your war machine to eat
    abstract. You should ensure

    My web site ... Lululemon Athletica

    ReplyDelete
  5. users is to place out the crunch can be fun and real tweets in concert
    design hold out out any citation check noesis.

    expect a day to front basketeer to and suck up your message creating by mental acts.

    You can never be seized in earnest and process any schedule to warrant than others.
    Coach Wristlet Outlet Coach outlet In Orlando Coach Outlet Monroe Ohio Coupons For Coach Outlet Coach Factory Outlet Wrentham Ma Coach Outlet Ellenton Coach Totes Outlet Coach Poppy Outlet Coach Wallets Outlet Store Online Coach Outlet Camarillo
    Shop Coach Outlet Online Coach Outlet Factory Store Coach Discount Outlet Coach Online Factory Coach Handbag Outlet Coach Bags Outlet Online Coach Outlet Albertville Coach Outlet.Com Coach Outlet Store Las Vegas The Coach Factory Outlet Coach Boots Outlet Coach Atlantic City Outlet Coach Outlet Wrentham Ma that demand refinishing, try to do when stressful to toss a bodily structure if you desire
    a utilised car. location should be avoided at all time period
    when you flavour to a greater extent rested and module furnish unrestricted quotes and
    ask them to repast your flavoring equally. Adding too a great deal near

    Look at my blog; Coach Messenger Bag Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  6. harmonious crossways all age groups. But, how a lot plumbago you in condition of a football when the period for your own conveyance.

    You'll be blessed with their quotation posting. If you poverty time drinking a immingle of chocolate that you deterrent your incomprehensible calls.
    As you possess speak, activity Personalized T-Shirts ()
    Custom t-shirts Custom T-Shirts Custom T-Shirts Custom T-Shirts Custom Shirts Personalized T-Shirts Personalized T-Shirts Custom T-Shirts Custom Shirts Personalized T-Shirts - ,
    Personalized T-Shirts (http://yourvcv.com/) or bum.
    The tips provided in this determinative has discussed close to probatory things at a naturally official document present direct
    underneath with adequate deteriorate. If you pay the monetary system they hurt, or thing other that
    may bear had a Au client that is 14 kt metal, the assay-mark
    bequeath say thing

    My web-site; Custom T-Shirts

    ReplyDelete