Thursday, May 29, 2014

Michela Walters Week 101: Gone

Picture 1


Picture 2


Michela Walters’s Picture Choice: 1

Title: Gone

All that was left of my beautiful house by the sea was the staircase leading from what was my deck down to the sandy shore below.

It was all gone.

Memories of my life floated out with the tide, swept away by a category five hurricane with little regard for my history.

I searched the coastline, hoping to find some kind of trinket to remind me of all I’d lost, but aside from a moldy hoody trapped between plywood and lots of trash swirling around in the sludge, there was little left of my coastal retreat.

Carefully ascending the stairs, I crossed my fingers hoping they wouldn’t crumble beneath my feet. It was then when I spotted some fabric flapping around one of the spindles on the deck. I knew better than to stand on the ramshackle structure, but I lunged as far as my fingers could reach to see what it might be. The wood creaked under my weight, yet I persisted, until the damp silky fabric finally was trapped between my fingers.

The muted pink bunny was stained and rain soaked, but of everything that could have been left behind, this one felt like a sign. My late-term loss of my baby almost a year ago was still an acute agony I felt every day. Shelby’s stuffed toy was the only reminder I allowed myself to keep, giving away all the clothes, furniture and toys I’d accumulated prior to her birth. It felt as if God had delivered me a message from my daughter. Clutching the bunny to my chest, I focused on descending the rickety steps to make my way back to the hotel I was staying in. After everything that I’d been through this year, maybe it was time to move forward, one step at a time with my angel baby watching over me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like what you just read? Have a question or concern? Leave a note for the author! We appreciate your feedback!

Michela Walters is a wife, mother and book enthusiast. She is currently attempting her hand at writing her first romantic fiction novella. You can read her other stories on her blog: michelawalters.wordpress.com

#DailyPicspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment