Sunday, May 25, 2014

Miranda Kate Week 100: Interdimensioning Part 3 - Final Destination

Picture 1


Picture 2


Miranda Kate’s Picture Choice: 1

Title: Interdimensioning Part 3 - Final Destination

When they stepped out onto the densely packed pine needles that made up the floor of what appeared to be a forest, Elise was confused.

“This isn’t home.”

Logan was busy studying the box in his hand, his brow furrowed as though working something out.

“No, it’s not. I couldn’t bring us straight there because it doesn’t exist as we know it yet, because there are too many risks.” He looked up at the trees around them. “But this wasn’t the plan either; I didn’t envisage a forest being here.”

They heard a crunching sound deep among the trees. Elise stepped closer to Logan. They peered round waiting. Then another noise came from the other side of the forest, higher pitched, like metal being cut. Their heads spun round in that direction. Logan clasped Elise’s hand ready to run, but it stopped as abruptly as it started.

“Logan, where are we?” Elise whispered.

“I don’t know.” He hissed back through clenched teeth. “I’m trying to work it out.”

His fingers stabbed at the buttons on the box following a rhythm. Then they stopped.

“Oh God.”

Logan’s tone prompted a sinking feeling in Elise’s stomach. “What?”

“Shit.” Logan’s face looked pale as he started to frantically jab at the buttons again.

“What? What is it Logan?” Elise struggled to control the rising panic she felt.

“I thought I’d programmed the portal to take us back into our dimension and I did, but…” He stared at the LED panel on the box for a second before punching the buttons again.

“But what?” Elise hissed urgently.

“I made a miscalculation.”

“So where are we?”

He looked at her, the beads of sweat on his forehead highlighting the fear in his eyes. The hairs on her forearms prickled.

“You know they say each dimension has a parallel where things run on a different premise to ours?” Elise nodded. “It’s seems I’ve landed us right in one.”

A crease fluttered across Elise’s forehead, but it was broken by another crunching sound that was closer. She grabbed for Logan, and he grabbed back.

“I don’t understand Logan, what does that mean?”

Logan pocketed the box and brought his arm round Elise’s shoulder drawing her in, not taking his eyes off the imposing pine trees circling them.

“It means that in this dimension Humans aren’t the top of the food chain. This world is run by another species.”

Elise studied his face, which was busy studying the trees surrounding them. She followed his gaze. “What species Logan?”

She saw the tops of the conifers move as though swaying to a breeze she couldn’t feel. Then the crunching sound came again and this time she noticed more tree trunks appear between those that were already there.

“The trees.” He breathed.

“So let’s get out of here!” Her eyes were wide with terror at the thought of what the trees could do.

“We can’t.”

Elise froze, she looked at Logan. “What? Why not?”

“I can’t open a portal from a parallel.”

“Why not?”

“It doesn’t work the same way, I need a different machine.”

“So what are you saying Logan, that we’re stuck here?” Elise struggled to get her mind round the idea.

He swallowed, nodding at her. “I’m sorry I got you into this Elise.”

“So am I.”

They clutched each other as the trees moved closer, the crunching sound escalating until their minds were full of it. Then the high pitched noise started up again and they gritted their teeth, burying their faces in each others necks until they didn’t know anything anymore.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like what you just read? Have a question or concern? Leave a note for the author! We appreciate your feedback!

You can read more of my writing on my blog - Finding Clarity - at http://purplequeennl.blogspot.nl/ or join me on Twitter @PurpleQueenNL

#DailyPicspiration

4 comments:

  1. Nooo! You can't leave it there! I need to know! And unique twist in the trees being the top of food chain not some dinosaur etc. Loving this Miranda. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a twist on humankind being below trees in the food chain. Although the outcome of your story is disturbing and worrisome for the two of them, it seems fitting that trees will no longer suffer from being ravished to near extinction humankind's careless lifestyle. But I wish you would continue this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, this is becoming the general consensus..when I get the next batch of photos I will have to consider how possible it might be.

      Delete
  3. Oh I like that a lot.. Have added this to my book marks so I can check it often...xx

    ReplyDelete