Sunday, February 15, 2015

RL Ames Week 138: Mine

Picture 1


Picture 2


RL Ames’s Picture Choice: One

Title: Mine

I know him. I’ve spent hours learning him, memorizing him.

He’s mine.

I watch him. He’s ignoring me. Not on purpose, just because he’s busy. I can tell you everything he’s going to do, every move he’ll make, even before he does it. He stretches, and I watch the long, tight lines ripple under his skin. He rolls his shoulders twice and let’s out a deep breath, fingers flexing as he gets ready.

He bends slightly, settling the bar across his shoulders, wiggling back and forth a little, adjusting until it’s just right. He strains as he takes the full weight of the bar and rises.

He’s a masterpiece, and watching him, I feel like I always do. Excited, possessive.

He does three reps, his usual, and then sets the bar down. He’s rolling his shoulders and pacing around. I know what he’s doing. He’s psyching himself up for more.

I want to help. I want to tell him he can do it. I want to be the encouragement he needs. But I can’t.

Because as much as I tell myself he’s mine, he’s not. I’ve spent hours watching him, studying him, but he doesn’t even know my name.

I sigh as I wipe down the treadmill and head for the locker room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like what you just read? Have a question or concern? Leave a note for the author! We appreciate your feedback!

RL Ames spends her time chasing after her almost four year old son and sneaks in time for writing whenever she can. She can be found at rlames.weebly.com

#DailyPicspiration

4 comments:

  1. Really good pace, loved the step by step tension and then it all falls away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I love how you've captured that moment of obsession with a stranger. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete