Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Kimberly Gould Week 28: Do Something

Picture 1


Picture 2


Kimberly Gould’s Picture Choice: Both

Title: Do Something

I opened my email, expecting the usual spam. I found several chain letters from my grandmother, a few ads from stores I frequent. Nothing groundbreaking, nothing to make me want to leave the comfort of my bed or set down my tea.

I clicked through two more, notes from my boyfriend, my mother. I replied to both, letting them know I wasn’t doing anything and liked it that way. Both were busy but wanted to drop by later. Whatever.

I yawned and sipped my tea. Sunday. God really knew what he was doing when he invented Sunday. I opened the last message.

The picture automatically loaded and I scowled, wondering what it was. Why would someone send me a picture of a clear cut forest? I scrolled down to the message. “Kelowna, 2015.”

There was another picture, a building with blasted out windows, bodies in the street around it. The message on that one was “Vancouver, 2016.”

What was this? Some Nostradameus thinking I was going to change the world? I jumped back to the top to see who the message was from. The address was a generic webmail account. The name it associated with it was John. No help at all. I knew a couple of Johns, none of them well.

My laptop dinged as a new message came in. I saw it was from the same user and started to get angry. What the hell was this?

The picture was me, with blood running down my face from a gash under my hairline. The text, “Julia, 2014. Do Something.” I shut off my laptop and jumped out of bed. Something was going on and I was going to find out what it was.

----------------------------------------------------

Kimberly Gould is the author of Cargon: Honour and Privilege and the upcoming Thickness of Blood. She can be found most places as Kimmydonn, including Kimmydonn.com

#DailyPicspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment