Monday, August 3, 2015

Lizzie Koch Week 162: Finding Me

Picture 1


Picture 2


Lizzie Koch’s Picture Choice: 2

Title: Finding Me

Twenty years I’ve wasted. Twenty years thinking what we had was love. Twenty years of smiling at your crappy jokes, drinking in your shabby local every Saturday night. Twenty years of cheap holidays to Southend because you were too scared to fly. I didn’t mind Southend really. It was you. Took me long enough to figure it out. You and your lack of ambition, your lack of emotion, your lack of energy and excitement for new experiences.

I can count on one hand the times you said you loved me and meant it, actually meant it. And that was well over fifteen years ago. The rot set in and you didn’t even notice. You never batted an eyelid when my girls nights out ended later and later. Then I stayed out all night and still you never commented. Just as long as I was there to cook your breakfast and fetch you the daily paper which you buried your head in for most of the day.

And now, when I tell you I’ve had enough and am leaving you, you sit in front of me with your puppy dog look and beg me to stay, telling me you love me with all your heart. Well, you can keep your miserable, shrivelled, empty heart because I’m leaving.

I closed the front door behind and inhaled deeply. The sun’s rays enveloped me, kissing my skin, banishing my dreary existence. I felt alive.

A horn sounded and my heart swelled when I saw you, the one who captured my heart and unlocked it. The one who rescued me and let me find me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like what you just read? Have a question or concern? Leave a note for the author! We appreciate your feedback!

I dream of sharing my work with the big wide world one day as a published author. Right now, I share flash fiction with a wonderful community of writers and friends. If you liked this story, then why not visit my blog at http://40somethingundomesticateddevil.blogspot.co.uk/ for more. Thank you. Love Lizzie x

#DailyPicspiration

2 comments:

  1. OMG I LOVE this! It talks to myself - it could be me, except there is no one else! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. A poignant and moving piece. I can feel her relief.

    ReplyDelete