Monday, October 22, 2012

Jen DeSantis Week 18: Panic

Picture 1


Picture 2


Jen DeSantis’ Choice: 2

Title: Panic

“It’s all in my head.”

Oh, really?

“It has to be.”

I look down at the string in my hand. Limp, it lays there. It is real. My hand is real. But somewhere up around the middle, something went wrong with the string. It moves. It undulates. And it isn’t the wind.

The air around me is still like I’m stuck in the center of a glass cage. In a vacuum. But the string … it moves.

Sure it does, Frankie.

And who the fuck keeps talking to me?

I won’t look up. I can’t. I can hear the thing at the end of the string reaching and moving in the stagnant air. Its slimy tentacles slap wetly against each other, safely above my head.

Or is it safe?

“Shut up.”

My voice shakes and I hate myself a little for that. This is all in my head. All of it.

“It’s all in my head.”

My voice is steady again, but the thing moves sickly above me and I feel the air ripple over me.

Maybe. The voice, I finally recognize, is my own. That doesn’t make it any safer. And you know that, dontcha Frankie?

I whimper as I feel the thing’s longest tentacle brush my hair. I feel the familiar panic grip my chest as I fight to break out of that glass cage, that vacuum of insanity. I reach out my hand, but no one is there. And the panic, it closes in again.

-------------------------------------------------

Jennifer DeSantis is a Horror and Paranormal Author and host of the #FridayPictureShow. She lives near Philly with her family. In her spare time is an aspiring ninja.

#DailyPicspiration

1 comment:

  1. For those that may not suffer panic attacks or anxiety, this offers some insight. Great job.

    ReplyDelete