Thursday, October 18, 2012

Michela Walters Week 17: Listen With Your Heart

Picture 1


Picture 2


Michela Walters’s Picture Choice: Both

Title: Listen With Your Heart

Music.

Many people say it transcends language and culture. Bringing people together as a healing expression of humanity. It allows you to feel and communicate without understanding the words. Meaning comprehended through sound, sculpted between notes and tempo all creating a harmonious release that can soothe even the most savage of souls.

I never understood it until I met Marisol. She was like a ray of sunshine brought from the heavens to lighten up the darkness of my life. Even though we spoke different languages, we somehow managed using gestures, pointing and speaking slowly.

Today, Marisol had been frantically trying to explain something to me. After ten minutes of her arms waving between us, and saying the words in Spanish she longed for me to understand, I was still baffled. She knew I was going to have to go back to the States soon, and my heart was breaking over the mere thought of it. We laid together silently in frustration when she sat up suddenly and thrust her earbuds at me, urging me to listen to a song she had put on her mp3 player. Putting them in, I heard a soulful song, brimming with emotion. That was when I finally began to comprehend all she was trying to convey. I was once again amazed at her ingenuity and intelligence, because It had never occurred to me to try music to speak for me instead.

When the song was over, I pulled her against my chest and smiled warmly down at her and replied in kind.

“I love you too.”

-----------------------------------------------

Michela Walters is a wife, mother and book enthusiast. She is currently attempting her hand at writing her first romantic fiction novella. You can read her other stories on her blog: michelawalters.wordpress.com

#DailyPicspiration

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this! So sweet and weighty at the same time!! Wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ruth.

    Music speaks all languages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely writing. You cram a lot of feeling into a very small space. Nice.

    ReplyDelete