Thursday, October 25, 2012

Sydney Logan Week 18: Inspiration

Picture 1


Picture 2


Sydney Logan’s Picture Choice: 1

Title: Inspiration

When I saw this picture, my first thought was of the song titled “What the Water Gave Me” by Florence + the Machine.

I’ve always loved music, and because I’m a writer, I love lyrics. I love when lyrics twist and bend, and when words that have no business rhyming with each other somehow rhyme (Eminem is a master at this). I especially love word play—when lyrics say one thing but really mean something else.

That’s why I love this Florence song.

When I bought the CD, I scanned the titles. “What the Water Gave Me” caught my eye because Florence has a knack for word play, and I wondered what the title meant. So I listened to the song, searched the lyrics online, and then listened again.

“Lay me down
Let the only sound
Be the overflow
Pockets full of stones”


Pretty, right? Especially with Florence’s angelic, ethereal voice.

Because I’m a crazy person when it comes to understanding lyrics, I did some research on the true meaning of the song. According to the singer, she views water as “overwhelming” in all its forms.

It can flow peacefully. It can roar loudly.

It can give life. It can take it away.

As a writer, I love to write about water, too. My debut novel featured a waterfall, and a pond is important in my second book. I’ve always loved water . . . rivers, especially. Like the one in this picture. I live in the country, and this picture is a perfect example of the river that flows near our house.

We find inspiration in the craziest of places. People. Places. Things. Ideas. For instance, the “pocket full of stones” in the song is in reference to writer Virginia Woolf who, in 1941, filled her coat pockets with rocks before drowning herself. The title of the song is taken from Frida Kahlo’s painting of the same name which was painted in 1938. Decades later, these two seemingly unconnected women inspired Florence to write a song, which just proves that what you do today can influence the future.

Be inspiring.

Be inspired.

--------------------------------------------

Sydney Logan recently released her debut novel, Lessons Learned. She lives in Tennessee with her wonderful husband and their very spoiled cat. Please visit her website at www.sydneylogan.com.

#DailyPicspiration

1 comment: