Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Kimberly Gould Week 22: Hope of Spring

Picture 1


Picture 2


Kimberly Gould’s Picture Choice: 2

Title: Hope of Spring

It was a happy time, rebirth. The season of death was over and new blooms had opened on the trees. Everyone was happy. Except me. The pink blossoms seemed to mock me.

“Shine all you want. You’ll blow away in the next wind,” I told them snidely.

Families picnicked under the branches, but I wanted to throw myself from the roof of the temple. What was the point of any of this? Why did everything keep spinning when it should all grind to a halting end.

I didn’t want to be happy. I didn’t deserve all the blessings life heaped upon me. Certainly Karma would send me back as some poor diseased cripple that is loved by no one and given nothing. It was only fair after letting the gifts I had waste away. But what good were they? No one saw my calligraphy. No one cared about my haiku. No one noticed the mousy third daughter of a middle man. I had neither the concerns of the rich nor the pains of the poor. I was loved by my sisters and mother. Even Father seemed to care for me. Yet, I couldn’t care for any of them. It was all pointless.

“Nabiki-chan!” Chiba-san called. He trotted up to me and put a fallen blossom in my hair. “Don’t frown so much. You have all year to frown. Today, you must smile.”

I met his dark eyes, my chin trembling with all my pent up emotion. He ran his hand over my cheek and I gasped, looking around to see if anyone was watching us.

“Please? For me?”

My heart fought my mind and won. My lips curved upward.

---------------------------------------------

Kimberly Gould is the author of Cargon: Honour and Privilege and the upcoming Thickness of Blood. She can be found most places as Kimmydonn, including Kimmydonn.com

#DailyPicspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment