Monday, February 17, 2014

SJ Maylee Week 87: Finding Love

Picture 1


Picture 2


SJ Maylee’s’ Choice: 1

Title: Finding Love

“I’m not going to fall asleep again.” Jane forced her eyelids to open. “Just keep talking.”

“Right.” Robert shook his head and kept his gaze on the road in front of them. “Your eyes haven’t been open for more than five minutes this whole trip.”

“I know. I’m so sorry. I’m just so nervous about tomorrow.” She rolled her shoulders. “I was up half the night trying to figure out what to say to her.”

“I’m sure the words will come when you see her.” He reached out and rubbed her knee. “Why don’t you just lay back and rest. “Tomorrow’s a big day.”

“Thanks, but I’d rather wear myself out so I have a chance at sleeping tonight.” She pulled down the visor to see the tiny mirror and poked at the dark circles under her eyes.

“Why don’t we stop and stretch our legs.” Robert pulled the car to the side of the road. “I think it will be quite a while before we reach the next town.

Jane stepped out of the car and looked out over the open field. New patches of green were coming back in spots all over, but the harshness of winter could still be seen in the broken branches along the tree line.

Jane made her way through the field. It seemed empty of life and the desolation seeped into her skin like the cold hollowness her mother left behind when she disappeared two years ago. Jane picked up her pace as she lost her self in memories of long ago.

“Jane!”

She stopped, turned around and Robert stopped in front of her.

“Where are you going?”

“I don’t know. I don’t know where I should be.”

“Honey, your long search is finally over.” He reached out and caressed her face. “It only makes sense that you’re feeling this anxiety.” He picked up her hands. “You know what you need now?”

“What?”

“A piggy back ride.” He turned around and helped her up on his back and he started to run in circles.

The wind almost blew off her hat and an easy giggle reached her ears. It took her a second to recognize the foreign sound as her own laughter.

“Robert, I love you.”

He sat her feet on the ground and turned around. “I love you too.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like what you just read? Have a question or concern? Leave a note for the author! We appreciate your feedback!

SJ Maylee believes hearts are meant to come together and find love. As a writer she has a tendency to break hearts, but she always glues them back together. You can follow her at @SJMaylee,

#DailyPicspiration

1 comment:

  1. What a great snippet. Now I want to hear the conversation with her mum when she finally sees her!

    ReplyDelete